What is HARRA
What is HARRA
The Houston Area Road Runners Association (HARRA) is an all volunteer, nonprofit organization of runners dedicated to provide, support and advocate for the running community of Southeast Texas. We were founded in 1993 to promote running as a competitive sport and a healthful exercise in the greater Houston area.
HARRA is an affiliate member of the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) and through the RRCA, we are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. All HARRA members are automatically members of the RRCA.
HARRA provides a wide variety of benefits and services to its members and to the running community, and provides the running community with a collective voice on issues that affect all runners in the Houston area.
HARRA serves as the umbrella organization for many individual running clubs in the Houston area. In this role HARRA works with the clubs to coordinate and promote club activities and competitions to the benefit of the clubs, club members, and the Houston running community.
Membership in HARRA is open to all regardless of age or ability. HARRA has between 2,000 and 3,000 members. Members range in ability from competitive runners who have participated in the US Olympic Trials to those who run for fitness only. HARRA's programs and services are designed for runners of all abilities.
All HARRA memberships run through June 30th of each calendar year. Dues paid AFTER the HARRA 500 registration opens in mid April, are good through June 30th of the following year. For example, this year if you pay your HARRA dues on May 1st, you are paid up until June 30th of the following year. However, if you pay dues on April 1st, you are paid up only until June 30th of the current year. You will have to renew your dues again in June for the following year.
There is no prorating of memberships.
The HARRA membership yearly dues are as follows:
- Individual - $25 ($27.50 for on-line payment)
- Household - $35 ($38.50 for on-line payment)
- Early Individual - $20 ($22.50 for on-line payment)
- Early Household - $30 ($33.50 for on-line payment)
Early period new and renewed memberships are good until June 30th the following year.
How do you join or renew membership with HARRA?
There are four easy ways to join or renew your membership with HARRA. If you need additional information, contact our Membership Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register on-line using our secure, instant on-line membership form.
- Renew Membership - Enter your userid and password where it says, "Retrieve My Information." Then, verify your profile information and follow the commands from there.
- New Membership - Enter your email address where it says “I am a new visitor.” Then, just follow the commands from there. As you register, there will be a place for you to create your own username and password that you'll be able to use in the future to access the members-only features on the website.
- If you’re creating a family membership: After you’ve registered yourself, you will be sent a confirmation email with a code that you can use to register your family members without paying again. Then, follow the same procedure described above using each of your family members’ email addresses. If your family member uses the same email address, you should be able to skip this step. When you get to the page that asks you to select individual or family, enter the code where you are directed to and continue from there.
- IMPORTANT - The Online registration fees are as follows:
Individual membership is $27.50
Family membership is $38.50
- Print out the membership application form and mail it to the address listed on the form. Be sure your application is postmarked no later than 2 days after a HARRA race for consideration in the HARRA Runner of the Season, Club and Team competitions. Please let HARRA’s VP of Clubs know if you’re mailing your application after a race so we ensure proper scoring.
Pick up a membership application at a variety of locations in the Houston area including: The Memorial Park Tennis Center, Bikesport, Finish Line Sports, Fleet Feet Sports, Luke's Locker, Finish Strong Sports, or On The Run.
IMPORTANT! HARRA dues are from July through June. There is NO PRORATING of memberships.
HARRA Member Benefits
HARRA provides its members with many valuable programs and services:
- Texas Runner & Triathlete Subscription
ITR contains a race calendar, race results, feature stories, nutritional and training information, and the latest inside information on the happenings in the Houston area running scene. It also has a HARRA insert with the HARRA Calendar, HARRA contacts, President's Column, Club Reports, Club Contact Information, Volunteer and Runner Profiles, Member New Age Groups, Book Reviews, Reprints from HARRA Club Newsletters, Spring and Fall Series Race Reports, and Discount Program Information. Great monthly reading!
- Discount Program
Houston's running specialty stores, along with a variety of Houston area professionals, offer HARRA members a discount on their products and/or services. Many local races also participate in HARRA's $ Off Entry Fee Program and provide members at least a $1 discount on their race entry fee.
Fall and Spring Race Series
HARRA administers a fall and spring race series for all runners with bids being accepted prior to each series for interested events. Race monitors evaluate each race insuring that all minimum HARRA race requirements are met. HARRA affiliated races are noted for high quality and standards, which may not be found in many other local runs.
Components of the series are as follows:
- Club Competition: Each series consists of five or six races in which members score valuable points for their HARRA affiliated club in division, club and team categories. HARRA scores and tracks all club competition scoring.
- Runner of the Season Competition: Every HARRA member scores points in each of the series races as an individual in the Runner of the Season competition. Cash prizes are awarded to the top finishers at the end of each season.
- IronFoot Program: Any HARRA member who completes all of the races in either the fall or spring race series is presented with the prestigious IronFoot award (running singlet, caps, etc.). Volunteering can be substituted for running at one of the races.
HARRA sponsors "Parties in the Park" throughout the year. The Parties are social events for all runners and are held at Memorial Park. A HARRA Awards Banquet is also held each Spring to recognize runners and volunteers, and to elect the new HARRA Board for the following year.
- Tour de Bayou Cross Country Series
The very popular "Tour de Bayou" cross country series has been coordinated by HARRA in the spring for many years. Six races varying in distance from 3 to 6 miles are held at different locations. The "Practice for the Tour" cross country series is held in the Fall. Bog hats, bog shirts and bog shorts are awarded to those crazy cross-country crusaders completing the Tour de Bayou series. Entry is free to all participants.
- HARRA Web Page
Current information on HARRA and on the Houston running scene is included on our web site at http://harra.org. Check it out for a listing of area races, race results, club and team competitions, runner of the season competitions, information on affiliated clubs, links to other running sites, HARRA membership number and much more.
- Volunteers - Very Important Performers (VVIP)
The VVIP program recognizes and awards those who volunteer their time for the benefit of HARRA and the local running community. It also helps motivate others to volunteer. Points are tallied for a variety of volunteer activities. Prizes (trravel, merchandise and gift certificates) are presented to the top volunteers each Spring at the HARRA Awards Banquet, and recognition is made in Footprints.
- Houston Running Email Flashes
HARRA provides an e-mail distribution service to keep members updated on the latest happenings on the local running scene. Timely information is distributed on race results, HARRA meetings and notices, race information, specialty store sales, etc. Over 1500 email addresses are on the current list. Please note that only members are eligible for the email list.
HARRA Houston Running Community Benefits
- HARRA Bayou City Classic 10K
This premier running event is managed by HARRA. Look for parties, lots of hoopla, costume contests, centipede competition, Clydesdale competition and much, much more. Something for everyone and it all benefits area parks.
- Power In Motion Training Program
Power In Motion (PIM) is a 10 week training program conducted each Spring and Fall. It offers guidance, support, encouragement and training tips for those absolutely new to running. PIM is also well-suited for intermediate runners who want to improve their speed. Weekly meetings with seminars, group meetings and group runs are included, all targeting a 5k race held towards the end of each session. A PIM singlet, Smart ID tag, detailed technical advice, a comprehensive training schedule are also provided.
The PIM coaching staff features over 30 HARRA members who are CPR trained and includes RRCA-certified coaches.
- Kid's Run/Children's Fitness
HARRA believes strongly in promoting fitness in the children of our community and hosts annual Kid's Only Runs each November. Kids only "In Training" programs are featured prior to the runs.
- CPR/AED Team
HARRA provides Automated External Defibrillator (AED) machines and certified CPR/AED teams to monitor runners at all of the HARRA series races. Currently the team has 70 members and 6 AED machines. Team members on bicycles move with the runners or are stationed along the course in order to respond quickly to resuscitate runners with cardiac related symptoms. Twelve HARRA walkie-talkies allow communication within the team and to event medical personnel. It could be your life that they save!
Race Equipment Rental
HARRA maintains a large inventory of race day related equipment including overhead clocks, pylons, finish/start line scaffolding, course clocks and much, much more. This equipment is in use most every weekend at area races. Equipment is managed by Tom McBrayer and John Phillips. Email email@example.com for information.
- Memorial Park Improvements/Safety
- HARRA works closely with Parks and Recreation to plan and implement running related improvements to Memorial Park.
Road Runners Club of America
Road Runners Club of America is a national organization of running clubs located throughout the United States and Canada. RRCA's mission is to represent and promote the common interest of its member clubs and individual runners through education, leadership, programs and other services.
The RRCA is the largest grassroots running organization in America. It was formed by runners to promote their own races and to fight for their rights to do so. Athlete's Rights was a fundamental purpose behind the founding of the organization.
RRCA officials are volunteers elected by the chapter clubs and come from the administration of those clubs for the purpose of providing coordinated national communications, education, programs and services for the clubs. The activities support and provide the opportunity for runners to participate for fitness, wellness, recreation and competition.