HARRA provides its members with many valuable programs and services:
- Texas Runner & Triathlete Magazine Subscription
- TRT contains a race calendar, race results, feature stories, nutritional and training information, and the latest inside information on the happenings in the Houston area running scene. It also has a HARRA insert with the HARRA Calendar, HARRA contacts, President's Column, Club Reports, Club Contact Information, Volunteer and Runner Profiles, Member New Age Groups, Book Reviews, Reprints from HARRA Club Newsletters, Spring and Fall Series Race Reports, and Discount Program Information. Great monthly reading!
- Discount Program
Houston's running specialty stores, along with a variety of Houston area professionals, offer HARRA members a discount on their products and/or services. Many local races also participate in HARRA's $ Off Entry Fee Program and provide members at least a $1 discount on their race entry fee.
- Fall and Spring Race Series
- HARRA administers a fall and spring race series for all runners with bids being accepted prior to each series for interested events. Race monitors evaluate each race ensuring that all minimum HARRA race requirements are met. HARRA affiliated races are noted for high quality and standards, which may not be found in many other local runs.
- The fall and spring race series include:
- Club Competition: Each series consists of five or six races in which members score valuable points for their HARRA affiliated club in division, club and team categories. HARRA scores and tracks all club competition scoring. Award given to the club with the most overall points based on participation.
- Team Competition: Same as Club Competition. Award given to the club with the highest team points based on team members' race times.
- Runner of the Season Competition: Every HARRA member scores points in each of the series races as an individual in the Runner of the Season competition. Cash prizes are awarded to the top finishers at the end of each season.
- IronFoot Program: Any HARRA member who completes all of the races in either the fall or spring race series is presented with the prestigious IronFoot award (running singlet, caps, etc.). Volunteering can be substituted for running at one of the races.
HARRA sponsors Party in the Park at Memorial Park in August (free to all runners) and the HARRA Membership Picnic immediately following the Bayou Bash Relay in May (free to all HARRA members). A HARRA Awards Banquet is also held each Spring to recognize runners and volunteers, and to elect the new HARRA Board for the following year.
- Tour de Bayou Cross Country Series
The very popular "Tour de Bayou" cross country series has been coordinated by HARRA in the spring for many years. Six races varying in distance from 3 to 6 miles are held at different locations. The "Practice for the Tour" cross country series is held in the Fall. Bog hats, bog shirts and bog shorts are awarded to those crazy cross-country crusaders completing the Tour de Bayou series. Entry is free to all participants.
- HARRA Web Page
Current information on HARRA and on the Houston running scene is included on our web site at http://harra.org. Check it out for a listing of area races, race results, club and team competitions, runner of the season competitions, information on affiliated clubs, links to other running sites, HARRA membership number and much more.
- Volunteers - Very Important Performers (VVIP)
The VVIP program recognizes and awards those who volunteer their time for the benefit of HARRA and the local running community. It also helps motivate others to volunteer. Points are tallied for a variety of volunteer activities. Prizes (trravel, merchandise and gift certificates) are presented to the top volunteers each Spring at the HARRA Awards Banquet, and recognition is made in Footprints.
- Weekly E-mails:
HARRA provides a weekly news e-mail to keep members updated on the latest happenings on the local running scene. Timely information is distributed on race results, HARRA meetings and notices, race information, specialty store sales, etc. Over 1500 email addresses are on the current list. Please note that only members are eligible for the email list.